In order to attend any activities, you are required be a member.
Membership is due 1st July every year, or on application for a new membership.
To join, please download the Membership Form and bring the form and the membership fee ($10), on your first visit. Please contact the Coordinator on 07 3391 8122 for more information.
Transport is available for specific programs
MCH offer a range of low cost activities available to any person over the age of 50. This program is designed to enhance your health and well being, to improve your strength and ability, as well as maintain your independence.
Instructors are qualified and specialise in working with older people. Attendees should wear comfortable clothing that allows freedom of movement. Instructors can work with you to support your range of movements by adapting movements to suit any limitations. Infomration about class times are available in the newsletter.
Our wellness program:
- Hub Healthy Hearts Walking GroupWednesday's 10 – 11 am No Cost (self directed)
- Tai Chi 12.30 – 1.30 pm $5.00
- Gentle Yoga 1.30 – 2.30 pm $5.00
- Aqua Aerobics 1.00 - 3.00 pm $12 - new accessible venue
Feel Good Friday:
- Gentle Exercises 10.00 am – 11.00 am $10.00
- Outing/Lunch 11.00 – 2.00 pm (approx.) $6.00 + cost of lunch
Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP)
Metro Community Hub offers group social support activities to eligible people over the age of 65 that are subsidised under the Commonwealth Home Support Program. Eligibility is determined through My Aged Care, who refers people to our Centre. Fees to attend each activity vary and are paid in cash on the day.
If you have an existing Aged Care number, and have a current assessment, please contact us and have your Aged Care (AC) number at hand.
MCH is a low level care program and can only take independent people on CHSP or Package level 1.
Prior to attending any activity you must be a current financial member. Please ring 3391 8122 to arrange membership. All activities must be booked at least 24 - 48 hours prior to the day.
The areas we offer transport to are:
- Bowen Hills
- Brisbane CBD
- East Brisbane
- Fortitude Valley
- Kangaroo Point
- New Farm
- Spring Hill
Our current activities under this program include:
- Monday or Wednesday Venturer trips – You will be assigned a day to attend depending on where you live, please organise your schedule to attend the assigned day.
- Hub Thursday – a day in the centre that includes morning tea, lunch, as well as entertainment or activities. Bookings essential for catering purposes by each Tuesday of that week on 3391 8122.
- Aqua Aerobics - Held at Newmarket pool, the qualified instructor leads you through an hour of exercises designed to improved your strength and balance, wellness and improve your functional ability. Please contact the office on 3391 8122 for more details. Bookings are essential by Wednesday and limited to 21 people.
- Feel Good Friday Gentle Exercises - our qualified instructor will lead you through an hour of gentle exercises designed to improve your strength and balance as well as fitness. It also includes morning tea and is a social and fun morning. If you have any chronic health conditions a health screening is required before attending. Please contact the office for the form that you can take to your GP/Specialist to complete, or, you can provide a copy of a letter from your GP/Specialst with a medical clearance, recommendations for frequency and intensity of exercise, and a list of conditions we need to be aware about.
- Feel Good Friday Outing – a shorter outing that usually includes lunch and/or a visit to a museum, gallery or exhibition. Ideal for people who only want to go out for a few hours rather than a day trip. See Monthly Calendar for more information.
- Monthly Unacommpanied Shopping Trips to Stafford City Shopping Centre - A pre-booked service that provides clients with transport too and from their home to the CHopping Centre. Clients must be independent and be able to shop without assistance.
Under 65 program
MCH is funded to assist 7 people with low care needs for social support - group. You must be referred by a registered Disability Organisation. We must have availability to be able to accept the referral.
Due to resource restrictions the following activities are available (people must be independent and can bring a carer if required. People who require wheelchairs or other mobility aids are welcome. Bookings essential):
- Hub Thursday
- Wellness Program
Do you have an idea for an activity that you think others may like to attend as well? Please let us know as we are always interested in adding more weekly activities. Please contact us on 3391 8122 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Be Connected @ MCH
Like to be able to connect with your friends and family on Facebook or email! Or maybe you’d like to research your family history on the internet? You can! The Federal Government is helping Australians gain more digital skills through the free Be Connected program. Metro Community Hub at Woolloongabba is a Be Connected provider. You can learn all the skills you need in group or one-to-one sessions tailored to your needs. So, stop missing out on the latest family news and photos. Our next session commences Thursday 8th March for 6 weeks at 10 am. This course is designed for absolute beginners or those who would like to refresh their memory. Bookings essential phone 3391 8122.
MCH has a hall and a meeting spaces for hire to groups and organisations which are ideal for regular meetings, training, or workshops etc. Due to Brisbane City Council restrictions, we are not permitted to hold events such as engagement or birthday parties (any age), or events of any kind with amplified music. Fill out the form below and we'll contact you with more information.
Find out More About Us
What Our Members Say
At first I did not want to come and resisted joining in. Once I did I could not believe how much it changed my life. 14 years later and I am in my early 90’s and I cannot imagine my life without this service and the friends I have made.
– Violet E
"The Metro Community Hub is a focal point for creating opportunities for people to connect"
"Enhancing Lifestyles through Community Connectedness"
"Our members have the right to be respected for their individuality, diversity and uniqueness. All support and assistance offered will enhance our members’ independence, strengths and abilities"